Sunday, February 15, 2015

Revelatory Dream

Dream Machine
Yesterday I was recording with Robert Michael Pyle. (If you are interested in what we are up to, here is a link to some work we did a couple of years ago.) I was playing guitar to Bob’s prose about Darwin’s voyage of the Beagle. During one part of the performance, I was straining to hear what he was saying, however, I could make out things through little bits and pieces. Later, during a break, I was trying to remember the school of psychology that studies how the mind can construe fragments of a visual image for a complete mental recognition. I was stumped.

Last night I had a dream where someone handed me a book with these partial images made up of typed dots and dashes . It was like …_ _ .. .. , and  I could see just enough where it was the face of Zeus. I looked at the cover of the book and the title was “Gestalt Psychology”.

Wow! During sleep, my long-term memory (LTM) was working in concert with my amygdala and visual association area to remind me of what the school of psychology I was straining to remember.


I had gone to sleep a little stressed. I have been rushing some of my studies lately and made a mistake. I was telling myself to slow down and I am slashing some minor commitments. As of late, I think my mind can get cluttered so LTM is getting blocked. The dream was liberating and clearing. I felt great after a solid, good night’s sleep.

12 comments:

  1. Krist, may I ask you what the best argument against evolution you have come across?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a firm believer in dreams being our subconscious mind's way of getting our conscious attention. I'm sure you've read up on that dude, Freud and dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krist, what kind of car are you driving in your blog pic? Also, do you miss Chris Farley?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1968 Pontiac Catalina Hard Top. God bless Chris Farley!

      Delete
  4. Do you think all dreams have a sort of meaning, or just some?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The interpretation of dreams is the royal road to a knowledge of the unconscious activities of the mind" (Freud)

      Delete
  5. I adored this blog -
    I understand it implicitly.
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Burrough's "systems adviser" came to mind when I saw the caption "Dream Machine" Ive always wanted to try one of those. Have you ever used one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, the Internet...I think it ate a comment I made. Or maybe it didn't. I can tell you this: It was the most insightful and delightful comment ever made. Krist, it would have made you enlightened.

    ReplyDelete